Monday, March 3, 2014

My Experience with In-Studio Recording



Has anyone else had the jitters in the recording studio? I don't know about you, but when I sing in the vocal booth in a studio, I am totally nervous.This article is about my experience with studio recording. This is not just about recording an album because that could be a full book in itself.
My experience in the past has to do with going into the studio one afternoon to record a track for my album, "Over." I go into the first verse of the track and I quiver. Once that record light goes on, my positive and brave expectations are halted. Then, cut! 
The engineer would say, "You got the first two lines and part of the next one. Let's start there…"
Line after line, we would drag through the song. Finally, it's done. After I walk out the door, I shake my head and think, "What was I thinking in there?"
Is it perfectionism?
Is it the willingness to try and get every note right? Possibly, yes.
Is it not having practiced the song enough?
Not, really as I practice the songs thoroughly before going into the sessions. 
Any advice for those struggling out there? 
  1. Sing one or two lines at a time and stop. Listen to the takes every one or two lines. If they're good, continue with the next two lines.
  2. Don't worry about perfection. Imperfection is beautiful. You could end up coming up with a new rhythm to your words that could fit more with your song.
  3. Take a break from working on the song when it's needed. Feel free to walk out if you are feeling pressured. Come back to the studio when you feel you are comfortable again. Making a record takes a number of recording sessions to get right enough to sell. The more time you put in, the more results you get out.
Take a deep breath. Recording an album is art. Art need not be stressful. So, go forth and create. 

No comments:

Post a Comment